Make Your Own V8 Juice

Except for a veggie-resistant girl I dated in college back in 1967, just about everyone I know likes V8 juice.

But, unfortunately, the stuff that comes in the bottles and cans is full of salt and has had most of the life cooked right out of it.

Well, I get around these problems by making my own healthy V8 juice, and you can too.

Read on for two good recipes, one raw and one cooked.

Let’s start with my favorite V8 recipe, a raw concoction that’s healthy and tasty…

Raw V8 Juice

6 medium-sized carrots
1 small beet (wash well)
3 large tomatoes
1 bag baby spinach
1/4 head fresh cabbage
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
3 stalks celery
1/4 sweet onion
1/2 clove garlic or less if you don’t care for garlic
Kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful)
Chili pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Run all the vegetables through your juicer, add salt to taste, and then sit back and enjoy the healthiest V-8 juice around. Tabasco sauce to taste can be substituted for the chili pepper.

For a second recipe, this one cooked, let’s turn to…

Tom Solomon’s Spicy Hot V8

8 quarts water
4 pounds homegrown tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch celery, chopped
8 green jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 cup vinegar
3 bay leaves
2 Tbs oregano
1 large onion, chopped
1 head garlic, pressed
4 Tbs salt
4 Tbs sugar

In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the sugar, bring to a boil, and cook at a steady boil for 2 hours.

Remove from heat and strain through a relatively fine mesh, making sure to express all the liquid you can.

Discard the pulp, return the liquid to the pot, and boil for another couple of hours, or until the liquid is reduced to roughly three quarts. Add four tablespoons of sugar, remove from heat, stir, and let cool.

Friends, you can’t beat either of these two healthy V8 juice recipes for price or for taste!

This entry was posted in Food and Recipes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Make Your Own V8 Juice

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention AgingBoomersBlog.com ยป Make Your Own V8 Juice -- Topsy.com

2. david says:

It seems to me you have boiled all the goodness away and far too much salt and sugar!

3. Chad M says:

It’s sad that there is always some troll on the internet who’ll come along and bitch about whatever’s been posted, isn’t it?

I guess David didn’t bother to read the raw recipe that came before the one he’s whining about.

Geesh, some people.

• Leah says:

Come on, there’s a nicer way to say things. David has points, why don’t you be a little human and just refer him to the raw version. Geesh you!

4. alisha says:

I was wondering if I could make the raw one in my Vita-Mix? I don’t have a juicer.
    Thanks!
    Alisha>

• admin says:

I’ve never tried making the raw V8 in a Vita-Mix but it would be worth trying, I think. You might have to strain the well-mixed ingredients through a cheesecloth to get a really tasty and drinkable end product. Or maybe add filtered water. Play with it a bit and let us know how this turns out when made in a Vita-Mix. Thanks.

5. Alexis says:

Made the raw version…..absolutely delicious and great for when you’re on the go.

6. Leland Judd says:

Why would you want to strain out all the fiber along with half the nutrients? The Vita-mix would pulverize it into a tasty concoction with all the fiber and nutrients.

I have been looking for a non processed version of V-8 for my Vita-mix and will give the raw version a try!

Thanks for the recipe amin!

7. coco200066 says:

If making the raw version in the juicer, what is the shelf life?

• admin says:

The raw version is best consumed as fresh as possible, but it’ll keep for a day or two in the frig without losing all the nutrition. It won’t taste nearly as good as it tastes fresh, however.

8. duder says:

recipe item “bag of spinach”… can you tell me how many ounces? there are many different size bags.

• admin says:

Without trotting down to the grocery store to check, I couldn’t tell you from memory how many ounces are in a typical bag of baby spinach that I use. With that said, two or three good handfuls of baby spinach are about right for my taste. I’d suggest experimenting, using less if you don’t care that much for spinach and more if you do.